Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We'll miss you, Wilkins

Today is a sad day. Wilkins has passed away. He was born in 2001 and I was fortunate to have purchased him from Nadine Chounet back in 2005. For those who've never met him, he was a wonderful ram. He was very gentle and was a great way for me to get used to rams, even though in the beginning I was very nervous about his size. He was very good about not letting one ram pick on another by either stepping in the way or just pushing the "bad boy" out of the way. He was VERY good about converting poor quality hay into a "beer gut"!

I think he was taken out by one of the yearlings that was trying to establish dominance. I've called the Federal Vet to report the death and may have to call the local vet for necropsy sampling to be done. Yipee.
I know that he's now frolicking around the fields just beyond the rainbow bridge and looking for all the ewes he can find.
I'll post tomorrow or another day soon about the shearing that happened on February 1st. Just got the pictures yesterday evening.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I am so sorry to hear about your ram Jen. He looks like he had a great life at your farm. Take care.

இڿڰۣ FLO said...

Sympa mignon